ESEA Report Cards
Old Orchard Beach School Department
28 Jameson Hill Road
Old Orchard Beach, Maine 04064
(207) 934-5751 Fax (207) 934-1917
July 25, 2016
Dear Citizens of Old Orchard Beach:
As of December 10, 2015 the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) was signed into law by President Obama. The signing of the ESSA Act reauthorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), the national education law with a longstanding commitment to equal opportunity for all students. The previous version of the law was referred to as the No Child Left Behind (NCLB).
The Elementary & Secondary Education Act (formerly known as NCLB) requires all states, school districts and schools to provide an annual report card to parents and communities that include Maine Comprehensive Assessment System Data (MeCAS) disaggregated into subgroups, attendance, graduation rates, status of ESEA accountability and information on highly qualified personnel. The report card displays statewide academic achievement results in grades four and eight related to the National Assessment of Educational Progress [NAEP] in the areas of reading and math as well as the participation rates for students with disabilities and limited English proficiency.
The report cards for Jameson, Loranger Memorial School and Old Orchard Beach High School provides the following information:
1. MeCAS Assessment Data: Specific Assessment Reports for each grade level broken down by subgroups in the content areas of Reading and Mathematics.
2. ESEA Accountability Reports: Data for each level (Elementary, Middle & High School] broken down by subgroups with an emphasis on percentages meeting or exceeding the targets.
3. Teacher Qualification Data: Data representing all of our professional staff members and their “Highly Qualified” status as defined by federal law.
4. NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress): This data is a comparison between Maine students and students nationally. This is not a direct reflection on OOB students’ performance; NAEP results are based on a sample of schools and students across Maine, not all Maine schools and students.
This important information will be shared with the public via district website. You can access this information via the www.rsu23.org website.
Sincerely, Timothy O’Connor
Director of Special Education & ESEA Coordinator M.Ed., C.A.S.